Author: JP / / Latest News
Not everyone managed to file their tax return to HMRC by the 31st January deadline.
HMRC have revealed some of the excuses that were used for not meeting the deadline:
- My tax return was on my yacht… which caught fire
- A wasp in my car caused me to have an accident and my tax return, which was inside, was destroyed
- My wife helps me with my tax return, but she has a headache for ten days.
- My dog ate my tax return and all of the reminders.
- I couldn’t complete my tax return, because my husband left me and took our accountant with him. I am currently trying to find a new accountant.
- My child scribbled all over the tax return so I wasn’t able to send it back.
- I work for myself, but a colleague borrowed my tax return to photocopy it and lost it.
- My husband told me the deadline was the 31 March.
- My internet connection failed.
- The postman doesn’t deliver to my house.
These excuses were all used in unsuccessful appeals against HMRC penalties for late returns, maybe next year these culprits will get their returns in on time!