Author: JP / / Latest News
Not everyone managed to file their tax return to HMRC by the 31st January deadline and HMRC have revealed some of the excuses that were used for not meeting the deadline:
- My tax papers were left in the shed and the rat ate them.
- I’m not a paperwork orientated person – I always relied on my sister to complete my returns but we have now fallen out.
- My accountant has been ill.
- My dog ate my tax return.
- I will be abroad on deadline day with no internet access so will be unable to file.
- My laptop broke, so did my washing machine.
- My niece had moved in – she made the house so untidy I could not find my log in details to complete my return online.
- My husband ran over my laptop.
- I had an argument with my wife and went to Italy for 5 years.
- I had a cold which took a long time to go.
These excuses were all used in unsuccessful appeals against HMRC penalties for late returns, maybe next year these culprits will get their returns in on time!